jueves, noviembre 03, 2005

Wednesday = 0

Yesterday was a total bust as far as novelling. Too many meetings suck energy.

Ironically, though, one of the meetings was for the Committee on Writing in Ethnic Studies. This a fabulous group: we have some great creative writers and our vision is to raise awareness about the craft and discipline involved in writing. Some folks have been disrespected in their writing, i.e. my book is more valuable than your book because your book is creative and mine is critical. (as if it's easier to publish a book of poetry!)

I have to admit, though, I'm so split about the idea of a creative MA thesis. I suspect I might have internalized some attitudes in my academic training. More likely, though, it's because my creative writing is much less disciplined than my critical writing. (i.e., I need to start putting a lot more discipline into my creative writing, but to do that I have to value it more and let it cut into my "research" time).

But the community is great on this. Really. We have great diversity, in experience, in publiation, in teaching, in vision.

I'm pretty excited about this new community.

No hay comentarios.: