martes, octubre 25, 2005

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven

I'm on a Sherman Alexie roll right now. He's so funny. Not like comedy, although Thomas Builds-the-fire does say he's not a full-blood Indian: "I'm half magician on my mother's side and half clown on my father's". But in a "home truth" kind of way. So far, my favorite story is "a drug called tradition." But then I only got to page 94 reading on public transportation. Still, I guess you can tell a lot about a person by which story they choose.

(I can't believe the first thing I said about him is that he's funny. I hate it when they do that in a book review. Tell you how funny this book is, and then you read it and it's so tragic!)

So I finished Indian Killer on monday. I still keep thinking of it. The Fantasies. What L* would call the border fantasies, I think. Indian Killer and The Wind Done Gone are all swimming around in my head.

I'm now about halfway through Almanac of the Dead. How long has it been since I started that? Looks like I added it to my list four weeks ago. It's too big a book to put down for too long, because there are so many characters it takes a while to remember if these are "new" characters or if you already met them in another part of the novel. Each time I enter a new section, or Book, in the novel, I run up against a wave of resistance. Because the characters are never likable: I never cozy on up to the new characters. So it takes me a long time to be drawn into their stories.

Now with The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven (the whole book), I like Victor, I like most of the characters right away and care what happens to them. It's totally different from Indian Killer.

No hay comentarios.: