lunes, marzo 13, 2006

Sick and tired of being sick and tired?

Sonrisa posted about being tired of being tired. That got my brain running down channels, Isn’t it that a saying of Black Women’s Health? I know it’s the title of Susan Smith’s history of Black Women’s Health Activism, but for me the phrase invokes the Black Women’s Health Imperative.

I've been feeling rundown and tired, too, because I've been missing my weekend walks. Partly the weather--you know we had snow in the Bay Area this weekend?--and partly family commitments that take up weekend workout time. My mother-outlaw (M-O) and father-outlaw (F-O) just gave L* and I this beautiful calendar from the Native American Wellness Center--which highlights the importance of vegetables in Indian America.

So because of the rain, and because of this pressure I feel in my forehead--a symptom of the pressure I feel in my life--I’ve been thinking I need to find an exercise alternative to long walks. Long walks on a treadmill are sounding really good to me right now--with the right tunes or an audiobook, or even just my head.

I had made an appointment to check out a commercial gym near work, but I’m not really keen on it, and I especially don’t want to get a membership and then not use it. So my goals for this week are to check out the gym on campus, and at the Native American Wellness Center, which I walk past on my way to BART and work. The hours for the latter are a little bit limited (10am-5pm i think) but that would actually work well on my non-work days (Tuesday-Thursday this semester) and I could either walk there or catch the bus. Downside to the campus gym is hauling another bag (workout clothes, shoes, etc) to and from work every day.

I’ll keep you posted on my fitness developments.

1 comentario:

Professor Kim dijo...

It was Fannie Lou Hamer who said, "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired." (http://www.ibiblio.org/sncc/hamer.html)
Keep your head up.