miércoles, abril 12, 2006

Most famous Latina mom

Sylvia Guerrero, the mother of slain transgender teen Gwen Araujo, will be played by Mercedes Ruehl in the Lifetime movie The Gwen Araujo Story


I am not sure how I expected to feel at this point. When my daughter Gwen, a transgender teenager, was brutally murdered on Oct. 4, 2002, I was sure that I would never feel whole again. Looking back, I didn't yet know exactly what "transgender" meant or how to fully embrace my child's identity. But I knew one thing: I wanted justice for my child.


More on Sylvia Guerrero here

OK, so for the past few days I've been drafting a letter to Lifetime (and a post to y'all) about how dare they cast a non-Latina in the role of the most fabulous Latina mother ever. Then, of course I start checking the info on Mercedes Reuhl and find that she is described as being "of Irish and Cuban extraction."

From Latinos Icognitos:

Merecedes Ruehl can trace her roots back through her Cuban grandfather who immigrated from Zalto, Spain. She also has German and Irish heritage.


...But that doesn't make him her Spanish grandfather? Now I'm confused...
(Maybe they're erasing her Cuban grandmother in this narrative?)

No hay comentarios.: