viernes, abril 06, 2007

NACCS Community Award

Every year, the National Association of Chicana and Chicano Studies honors local community activists at each annual convention, to acknowledge the importance of social change to our academic endeavors, and to recommit ourselves to our communities.

This year, NACCS gave an award to Sylvia Guerrero and (in memoriam) to her transgender daughter, the late Gwen Araujo.



Since the murder of Gwen Araujo in 2002, Sylvia Guerrero has done tremendous outreach, especially to bay area high schools, about the challenges faced and the rights owing to transgendered teens. Guerrero is being honored for her advocacy and for her work to pass AB 1160, which eliminated the "gay panic" defense
for assault and murder.

During the awards ceremony, Sylvia Guerrero noted that, although she has received many awards, this was
the first time she has been acknowledged by a Latina/o organization. She spoke movingly of the need for Latinos, who value tradition and familia, to truly love, accept, and honor all of our children.

Guerrero's brother mentioned that his father had marched with César Chávez and instilled in his children a sense of pride in being Latino. He spoke about the long struggle of Latinos in the US, and the eagerness to work hard if it could make life better for our children. "We struggled for our lives then," he said, "We didn't think she would have to struggle for her life now." He told the audience that his niece Gwen was a proud Latina. And old-school Latinos need to learn to deal with it.

Sylvia Guerrero and her family received two standing ovations.

4 comentarios:

brownfemipower dijo...

that is wonderful...I wish I could have been there. So wonderful.

cindylu dijo...

It's good to see that Chicana/o Studies main organization recognizes those working hard in the community. I didn't know much about Araujo's murder, but had heard of the murder of a transgender woman in the Fremont/Newark area.

Now, any NACCS drama? I kid...

cindylu dijo...

I should have read the other post first. I realize now that Gwen Araujo was the young woman I was thinking of. I remember talking about the trial with my boyfriend and my reaction when I heard about what those guys did to Gwen. :(

bint alshamsa dijo...

BFP is right. I wish I could have been there to see this too. I'm glad that her family is making sure that Gwen will not be forgotten.